PICTORIAL HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES AND TERRITORIES
#40 - DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
Size: 3" x 5"
Lithographer: Donaldson Bros.
|Reverse - Text
|Left section: GRIND
YOUR COFFEE AT HOME
|THE district was bought of the
Indians by an Englishman named Francis Pope, who settled here in 1663.
During the Revolution the Continental Congress moved from town to town
to avoid the British armies. After the war several States claimed the
seat of government to be established, as defined by the Constitution,
not to exceed ten miles square, and to remain under the exclusive
legislation of Congress. In 1788-89 Maryland and Virginia each offered
such districts, and Congress in 1790 accepted, specifying the present
location. The magnificent system of avenues was planned by Major
L'Enfant and laid out by Surveyor Andrew Ellicott. In 1791 the new
public domain received the official title of District of Columbia and
the Federal City became the City of Washington. In 1800 the public
archives were transferred in a sloop from Philadelphia, and Congress
held its first session here. In 1814 a British army of 4,500 men routed
the American Militia at Bladensburg and occupied Washington, destroying
the public buildings. The city was menaced by the Confederate troops at
the outbreak of the Civil War until the night of May 23d, 1861, when
Wood, Heintzelman, and Ellsworth crossed the Potomac and defended the
city. The Capitol was saved from further assault after the various
reverses of the Federal Army in Virginia, by sixty-eight forts and
miles of rifle-pits.
|The Capitol; The
White House; George Washington
see a non-Arbuckle use of this supposedly copyrighted Arbuckle