Arbuckle Coffee Trade Cards Banner
 

VIEWS FROM A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD
#2 - STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN

Size: 3" x 5"
Copyrighted: 1891
Lithographer: Joseph P. Knapp

Stockholm, Sweden - Royal Fortress; Cattle Dealer; Kings Palace
Illustrations: Royal Fortress; Cattle Dealer; Kings Palace

Reverse - Text
Left section: GRIND YOUR COFFEE AT HOME
Right section:
STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN.
Stockholm is built in part upon the main land and in part upon nine islands between Lake Maelar and the Baltic Sea. On account of this location it is called the "Venice of the North," and its remarkable beauty justifies the comparison.--The city is recognized in ancient Swedish chronicles, and its name, from stock and holmen, meaning wood and island, arose from the existence of thick forests abounding on the islands. The early centuries being marked by severe piratical invasions, prompted Earl Birger Jarl, the Regent in 1260, to fortify the entrance to Lake Maelar with towers connected by a wall on either side of the island which commanded the entrace to lake and city.
Stockholm has an excellent harbor, capable of admitting ships of the greatest tonnage. Hundres of larger and smaller craft are constantly plying to all parts of city and suburbs. The older portion of the city stands upon three islands, whose names, translated, are Knight's Island, City Island, and Holy Ghost Island. The old fortifications have been dismantled, and the islands enlarged by embankments on piles, on which are the Palace, Government Offices, Exchange, and large mercantile houses. These islands are connected with the main land by long bridges. The approach to the city from the Baltic presents a most impressive panorama of islands and valleys, rocks rising boldly from the surface of the fiord, and the Palace crowning the amphitheatre of the houses in the background. Stockholm is the centre of the literary, scientific, artistic and social activity of the country. The Royal Palace is an immense granite and brick edifice on the highest point of the central island. Its southern facade is the most richly ornamented one, and overlooks the Palace Hill. The Royal entrance, and that of the troops, are on this side. The interior is filled with objects of great interest, including works of the most eminent masters.
Population Dec. 31, 1889, (est.)
243,500.