VIEWS FROM A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD
#18 - HAMBURG, GERMANY
Size: 3" x 5"
Lithographer: Joseph P. Knapp
Illustrations: German Sea Signal Station; A Sailor; Old and New Jungfernstieg;
Peasant; The Port, Hamburg
|Reverse - Text
YOUR COFFEE AT HOME
|Hamburg is the first
commercial city of Germany, and,
indeed, one of the most important
commercial cities of the world.
Its foundation dates from the
time of Charlemagne. It lies on
the right bank of the Elbe, about
90 miles from the mouth. At this
point the River Alster joins the
Elbe. Hamburg was raised to the
rank of a free town by the
Emperor Otho IV. in the twelfth
century. In 1815 it became a
member of the Germanic
Confederation. Upwards of 5,000
vessels annually enter and leave
the harbor, and many thousands of
emigrants embark yearly, most of
them bound for the United States.
has a number of fine churches,
among which is that of St.
Nicholas, with a tower 473 feet
high, the third if not the second
highest in the world. St.
Michael's Church is 229 feet
long, 179 feet broad, with a
tower 428 feet high. The city has
a good number of commodious and
popular places of amusements.
port in which vessels can enter
with the tide is very extensive,
even ships of large size coming
quite up to the town, in front of
which the river is divided into
several channels by numerous
small and very fertile islands.
The suburbs are very beautiful.
The Alster forms on the north of
the city a basin called the
Binnen Alster, which communicates
with another basin outside the
city, called Grosse Alster.
old ramparts have been converted
into handsome promenades along
the quays surrounding the basin
of the Alster, viz: the Alster
and Neuer Jungfernstieg, and the
Alsterdamm. On the old
Jungfernstieg is the Bazaar,
which has a glazed passage
leading from the Jungfernstieg to
the Konigstrasse. It cost 60,000
pounds sterling. Near the
Jungfernstieg end this forms an
octagon surmounted by a cupola,
and is richly decorated.
|Population 1889, (est.) 315,993.