Arbuckle Coffee Trade Cards Banner
 

VIEWS FROM A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD
#19 - CAIRO, EGYPT

Size: 3" x 5"
Copyrighted: 1891
Lithographer: Joseph P. Knapp

Cairo, Egypt - Crocodile, Ibis; Banks of the Nile
Illustrations: Street Scene; A "Danseuse"; Crocodile and Ibis; Peddler; Cairo; The Banks of the Nile

NOTE: There appear to be 2 printing varieties for this card, distinguishable by the presence or absence of a comma in the caption at the bottom center of the card. These varieties were originally identified by Jerry Anderson.
Caption includes an obvious comma between CAIRO and EGYPT. (This is the variety shown on the full-size card, above).
-- image courtesy of Jerry Anderson
Caption does not have a comma between CAIRO and EGYPT.

Reverse - Text
Left section: GRIND YOUR COFFEE AT HOME
Right section:
CAIRO, EGYPT.
This city was founded by the Arab conquerors of Egypt in 970 A.D., near the east bank of the Nile about 20 miles above the apex of its delta. It is surrounded by walls and lies in the midst of gardens and groves of mimosas and palm trees. The interior of the town is a scene of busy traffic, its inhabitants exhibiting oriental customs and costumes mingled with those of many Europeans. The latter are indiscriminately termed "Franks." There are various quarters divided off with reference to their occupants, whether Mohammedans, Jews or Franks. The streets of the older portion of the town form a bad contrast to the better showing of the modern sections. The place is intersected by a canal conveying the waters of the Nile from Old Cairo to all portions of the city.
The Citadel built by Saladin about 1166, stands 250 feet above the level of the town. It has undergone much alteration and now contains a palace and a mosque erected by Mehemet Ali, in the centre of which is a well sunk in the solid rock to the level of the Nile. The view from the Citadel is one of great magnificence; the city below with its gleaming domes and minarets, gardens and palaces, the river studded with islands, the pyramids on the north, fields and villas on the west, and barren cliffs on the east, backed by an ocean of sand. The Mosque of Sultan Hassan is called the finest in Cairo.
The streets are highly picturesque with gaily dressed traders, dragomans, mountebanks, dogs, donkeys and snake-charmers.
In the vicinity of the Pyramids of Sakkara are found the tombs of the sacred Ibis; these mummies are enclosed in earthen vases of sugarloaf form. Some of them have the beak, the feet, and even part of the feathers well preserved.
Population 1882, 368,108.