Arbuckle Coffee Trade Cards Banner
 

VIEWS FROM A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD
#24 - LIMA, PERU

Size: 3" x 5"
Copyrighted: 1891
Lithographer: Joseph P. Knapp

Lima, Peru - Lima Gateway; River Rimac; Guano Deposit
Illustrations: Lima Gateway; Indian Squaw; Mountain Guide; Lima & River Rimac; Guano Deposit

NOTE: There appear to be 2 printing varieties for this card, distinguishable by the presence or absence of a comma in the caption at the bottom center of the card. These varieties were originally identified by Jerry Anderson.
Caption includes an obvious comma between LIMA and PERU. (This is the variety shown on the full-size card, above).
Caption does not have a comma between LIMA and PERU.

Reverse - Text
Left section: GRIND YOUR COFFEE AT HOME
Right section:
LIMA, PERU.
Lima, founded by Francisco Pizarro in 1535, occupies an extensive plain, 500 feet above the sea, seven miles east of its port, Callao, on the Pacific coast. It stands at the foot of granitic hills on both banks of the River Rimac, which divides the city proper from its suburban portion--San Lazaro. Prior to 1870, there were walls of some ten miles circuit enclosing the irregular triangle of the main town, but these have given way to boulevards. In the hills behind San Lazaro there are only two openings for passage-way. The river is spanned by a bridge 530 feet long with six arches. This is a favorite place of resort in the afternoon, the time of day when the mountain breezes prevail. The streets are broad and symmetrical, the houses spacious, usually of only two stories, and approached by portals leading into an open court or yard. The grand square--Plaza Mayor--is the centre of life and business. Each side is 510 feet long and in its centre a magnificent bronze fountain with three basins. On the north side of the square are the palace and government offices, on the east the Archbiship's palace and the cathedral, and on the west the Senate House and Town Hall. Among the monuments, the most famous is the equestrian statue of Simon Bolivar in the Plaza de la Indepencia, (weighing 11 tons,) commemorating the battle of Ayacucho, which secured the independence of Peru. Among the public promenades are reckoned the cemetery outside the Maravillas Gate and the Pasco de la Alameda (promenade) de los Descalzos, having in its centre a splendid garden. The University, built in 1576, is the oldest in America; it contains the hall and offices used by the Chamber of Deputies. The public libarary has over 40,000 volumes. The chief place of amusement is the amphitheatre for bull-fights, accommodating 9,000 spectators.
Despite the ravages of war, insurrection, pestilence, and earthquake, the city has held its own as one of the most important trading centres of South America.
Population 1876, 101,488.