Arbuckle Coffee Trade Cards Banner
 

VIEWS FROM A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD
#38 - BUDA PESTH, HUNGARY

Size: 5" x 3"
Copyrighted: 1891
Lithographer: Joseph P. Knapp

Budapest, Hungary - Buda Pesth; Danube River; Andrassy Street; Imperial Residence
Illustrations: Hungarian Beauty; A Horseman; Buda Pesth; Danube River; Andrassy Street; Imperial Residence
NOTE: This card comes in (at least) three varieties, distinguishable by the wording of the caption on the front and the formatting of the copyright notice. The variety shown above on the left has only the country name, "HUNGARY", at the bottom center. As shown in detail below, the copyright notice for this version may consist of either 2 or 3 lines of text. The card shown above on the right gives both the city and the country as "BUDA PESTH, HUNGARY". I've only seen this version with the 3 line copyright notice, as shown on the right, below. The reverse of all three varieties appears to be identical.

Reverse - Text
Left section: GRIND YOUR COFFEE AT HOME
Right section:
BUDA-PESTH, HUNGARY.
The approach to Pesth is recognized by the number of rafts and barges moored to the banks, the long rows of clacking water mills, and the rocky citadel of Buda. This Capital of Hungary consists of two parts; Buda, the old town on the right bank of the Danube--the residence of the king--and Pesth on the left bank--the modern rising town, and the seat of the Hungarian government. They are connected by a grand suspension bridge, near which the steamers are moored. the early history of Pesth was a series of disasters; five times it was conquered by the Turks, but was finally rescued from them by the Duke of Lorraine in 1686. Since that time it has risen rapidly in prosperity and importance. It is now the finest, most populous, and most important commercial city of Hungary, and constantly increasing in extent. These features of thrift are mainly due to its grain trade. Regent and Bond streets, of Pesth, may vie in the display of their stores and the elaborately painted signs, with those of Vienna. These and the streets leading to the bridge concentrate the chief activity of the population. The other streets and squares have no marked features, except their size and width, and are often disagreeably dusty, owing to the location of the town in a sandy plain. The scenes in the streets give a stranger the mixed impression of splendor and semi-barbarism.
Buda, (called Ofen or Oven by the Germans, on account of the hot springs in its neighborhood,) was held by the Turks for a century and a half, twenty of their mosques being afterward destroyed by the Christians. The fortress is situated partly on the summit of a commanding rock, 485 feet above the sea, and is reached from the lower town by a tramway constructed by the old Count Szechényi. The rails are laid at an angle of 45 degrees, and the cars are raised by a stationary engine, by means of a wire rope. There is an ancient shrine on the hill, in the midst of a vineyard, behind the fort, to which pilgrims come yearly from the farthest part of Asia.
Population 1890, 465,600.