Arbuckle Coffee Trade Cards Banner
 

VIEWS FROM A TRIP AROUND THE WORLD
#25 - ROME, ITALY

Size: 3" x 5"
Copyrighted: 1891
Lithographer: Joseph P. Knapp

Rome, Italy - Colosseum; St. Peters; The River Tiber; Castle of St. Angelo; Forum
Illustrations: Colosseum; Roman Lady; St. Peters; Italian Peasant; The River Tiber; Castle of St. Angelo; The Forum

Reverse - Text
Left section: GRIND YOUR COFFEE AT HOME
Right section:
ROME, ITALY.
This grand conservator of the remains of all known epochs of civilization, stands on the Tiber, 14 miles from its present mouth. The walls of the city are some of them very ancient, incorporating in their circuit the pyramid of Caius Cestius, the soldiers' amphitheatre, the aqueducts and the Prętorian Camp. The seven hills of ancient Rome are now almost uninhabited, comprising the massive ruins of the former grandeur. The place of popular assemblies--the Forum Romanum--lies in the valley between the Capitoline hills and the Palatine (ruins of the Palace of the Cęsars), and furnishes in itself illustrations of the building of all epochs. Modern excavation in these ruins reveals valuable historic features. The Flavian amphitheatre, known as the Colosseum, the greatest of antique structures, was built in honor of Titus. Its construction took ten years, and the inauguration, lasting 100 days, was celebrated in A.D. 81, date of the death of Titus. Its whole superficial area is six acres. Among the numerous temples the most interesting are the Pantheon, built by Agrippa about the year A.D. 27, and the Temple of Neptune, now the Roman Custom House. In the Pantheon are found the bones of Raphael, their identity being proven in 1833.
The wonderful basilica--St Peter's--was commenced by Julius II. about 1503. Its present form is due mainly to Michael Angelo. Its immensity, concealed by harmony of details, is realized on ascent of the mighty dome, from which passers on the pavement below appear so small as to nearly hide their identity as human beings. The Vatican, the Capitol of modern Rome, is composed of a mass of buildings erected by many different popes, covering a space of 1,200 by 1,000 feet. Its gallery of sculpture is the most complete and valuable in existence.
Population 1881, 273,248